Wednesday, February 10, 2010

This is really hard to watch

Because I want to love the Catholic Church, and I know that certain groups within it are doing some really great work, but it just makes me super mad that I had to grow up with this bullshit. Needless to say, Stephen Fry cleans their clock.


The Intelligence² Debate - Stephen Fry (Unedited)
Uploaded by Xrunner17. - Full seasons and entire episodes online.


(Thanks to Dafydd, who I can't help but imagine spelled his name that way on purpose)

1 comments:

Pseudonym said...

I've never had the pleasure of being Catholic, but I know exactly what you mean.

An organisation that's been around for 1500-2000 years (depending on how you count it) and has a billion members, by sheer weight of statistics, be a 100% good or 100% bad force for the world. Even if you set aside the archaic views held by people centuries ago which today we would understandably find obscene, any significant good done today is always going to be mixed with bad, and any significant bad is always going to be mixed with good.

Both sides appeared to miss this important factor, but Anne Widdecombe in particular mixed her ignorance with a hubris that was just embarrassing.

To be fair, I can imagine that if Hitchens and Fry weren't extremely entertaining individuals, I'd have cringed at them too.

I'm not especially interested in a defence of the Roman Catholic Church from someone who parrots the party line. I want one from someone who has clashed with the system, stood their ground and stayed anyway. I want to know their reasons for staying.

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008

WTF WOULD JESUS DO? - Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008