Friday, April 3, 2009

Dem gays in Iowa...

Are getting married?!


(From the DeMoines Register):
The Iowa Supreme Court this morning unanimously upheld gays’ right to marry.

“The Iowa statute limiting civil marriage to a union between a man and a woman violates the equal protection clause of the Iowa Constitution,” the justices said in a summary of their decision.

. . . . Richard Socarides, a former senior adviser to President Bill Clinton on gay civil rights, said today’s decision could set the stage for other states. Socarides was was a senior political assistant for Iowa Sen. Tom Harkin in the early 1990s.

“I think it’s significant because Iowa is considered a Midwest sate in the mainstream of American thought,” Socarides said. “Unlike states on the coasts, there’s nothing more American than Iowa. As they say during the presidential caucuses, 'As Iowa goes, so goes the nation.’”

. . . . “One could easily argue, and we do, that fostering same-sex marriage will harm the institution of marriage as we know it,” [Assistant Polk County Attorney Roger] Kuhle said. “It’s not going to happen tomorrow. We’re not going to see any changes tomorrow, next week, next year, in our generation. But you’ve got to look to the future.”

Kuhle said state support for same-sex marriage would teach future generations that marriage is no longer about procreation despite thousands of years of history.
*Ahem*

Fuck you, Kuhle. And congratulations, LiturgyGeek!!!!! Who ever thought we'd live in a world where you could get gay married in Iowa, but not in California?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Horray! Now lets celebrate by getting some fundie underware

http://shopinprivate.com/funfortwo.htm

LiturgyGeek said...

Thanks, Jocelyn!!! The best part about all this is that the decision was UNANIMOUS!!! Today I am totally praising God...my clergy colleague Matt said, "Easter came early this year." Indeed.

Will update you on the rally and will post my prayer/speech/whatev when I get it done...which may be never because I am so excited I can barely breathe!!!!!

Jocelyn said...

Anonymous - your link did not work for me.

LiturgyGeek - I am so, so proud of and happy for you. I always thought Iowa was a really cool state.

Hannah said...

I think my husband has never been so proud to be from Iowa as he is this morning! We are overjoyed! I am out of words - there just aren't any to do justice to the joy in my heart today. Congratulations to you, LiturgyGeek and to all Iowans!

Seattle Mama said...

Ok, this is slightly off topic but this stupid procreation argument has really been bugging me for a while. I've been thinking about my wedding, specifically about the vows we took standing in front of the altar in a beautiful Catholic Church. In the statement of intentions we both said that we would accept children from God but we never said that we were getting married for the sole purpose of making babies. In fact, in the actual vows we said we would "love, honor and cherish" each other "all the days of our life". Nothing about babies. As if that isn't enough, in our Pre-Cana classes they taught us that the marriage relationship is primary, even more important than relationships you might have with your children. and there's a lot more in the Rite about the definition of marriage, etc. The Catholic Church itself made sure that my beloved and I know that our marital relationship is more important than making babies.

Anyone who knows anyone who married because they were pregnant knows that very few marriages last when they are entered into for the sole purpose of procreation. And seriously, any married person should know that there is a lot more to a marriage than just sex. Whew! I feel better now.

Jocelyn said...

Hannah, I really wish I could understand the right's true motivation behind all their bigotry, because their arguments involve so much flawed logic, contradiction, and hypocrisy that they must have other reasons to do the things they do. Right?

Or are they just retarded?

Seattle Mama said...

I think you nailed it, Jocelyn. They are so obstinant in their hatred and intolerance. And probably a little retarded. I'll never undertand it, I just wasn't raised that way. It's so stupid!

Alexah said...

I agree with your closing statement, Jocelyn. I never, ever, ever would have imagined that Iowa would be down with gay knots being tied before California.

This is some great news. It almost feels like the wheels are in motion.

Jocelyn said...

I'm pretty sure we can all now say with great certainty that the wheels are most definitely in motion.

Dean P said...

I cannot take such empty statements as "it's going to harm the institution of marriage," without a single factual example of how it's going to do just that. And really, are these people such myopic tools that they can't in fact notice that none of the horrible parade of awefuls they keep forecasting haven't happened in Canada, Massachusetts, Belgium, the Netherlands, Norwary, Spain, Sweden, or South Africa??

LiturgyGeek said...

You people are awesome. Hannah, as always you are thoughtful and incisive. April 24, anyone?

LiturgyGeek said...

It sure is. Come on down and get gay married!

Jocelyn said...

To be fair, I already can get gay married where I live. My roommate and I have discussed it, but we both imagined marriage to include more sex than we generally have with each other, which is none.

Seattle Mama said...

Jocelyn, that sounds like marriage with a baby. The baby being there to remind you that you once had sex. Kidding...mostly.

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008

WTF WOULD JESUS DO? - Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008